Saturday, June 26, 2010

Niblets of Garden Drama


I have been spending a great deal of my "garden" time the past few days researching flowers and other types of non food related plants. While the veggie garden is well tended, the rest of our yard is in a bit of disarray. Neither I nor my hubby know much about yard work or plants other than veggies. I don't know what to prune, when to prune, what's a weed, what to plant, etc. When I say I'm a beginner, I mean it!  So we have a lot of landscaping work that needs to get done - quickly. Its starting to get a little embarassing. I've been developing some concept boards for our back yard renovation, but I'll save that for another post when its much more developed. :)

Despite the recent floral fixation, I do have a few updates from the veggie garden!  The tomato plants are thriving. I recently watched a video posted by EG over at the blog "Our Engineered Garden" about pulling off tomato 'suckers' and rooting them - to grow more tomato plants. I had no idea this was possible!  If you're curious, check out his video about it.  I'm up to my eyeballs in tomatoes, as you can see from the photo - but I cut some suckers off and gave them to a friend to try and root. I'm excited to see if it works.

We harvested 48 more green beans, bringing the grand total up to 128 for the season so far. These things are growing at an alarming rate!  Some of the beans went into home made chicken pot pie, still more went to friends. I'm really proud of these guys. Had a little drama while harvesting the second batch.  Our garden is enclosed by some wire "fencing" - i use the term loosely.  Its pretty high and I caught my foot on the top of it while trying to hop over into the garden. I took a dive right into my bean plants!!!! Not to mention stomping on my 1 living onion in the process. Did a little clean up and I don't think too much was lost. The bean plants will survive, minus a few limbs. The onion on the other hand - may not.

I've had a tough time with onions, this first go round. I've researched and learned some things, but that's for another post. :)

No comments: